Friday, April 2, 2010

Interview with Regina from Acutedesigns



Tell us a bit about yourself


My name is Regina Morrison and my shop's name is Acute Designs. A friend of mine helped me come up with the title...I knew I wanted the word "design" in there, but wasn't sure how to incorporate it. The word "acute" really fit because it means small, and most of my items are small designs. Also, I liked the fact that the word "cute" was part of the word. I hoped the name would give people a good feel for the shop.







What makes you became an artist?


I specialize in hair accessories and those were the first things I made. I noticed about 6 months or so ago, hair accessories were gaining popularity at stores like Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters. I loved the look, but never wanted to buy one because I thought "I can make this myself."







When did you start selling at ETSY?


I was going to a wedding in November and decided to make a headband to wear. At the wedding, the bride had a flower in her hair and she told me she bought it on Etsy...she asked where I bought my headband and I said "I made it." At that moment it all just clicked...maybe I could make more headbands and sell them on Etsy!






As the days went by, I thought of other products I could incorporate into the shop. In the end, I decided to add necklaces, pet accessories (I have wo beloved dogs) and a few baby items. I want to expand into the jewelry and accessories department and eventually grow the baby and pet departments (both of those setions are sparse right now).






I have always loved sewing, creating, and making things - when I was younger I would make doll clothes and furniture and accessories for myself. As I got older, I became more interested in creating through food and went to culinary school. I have always loved working with my hands, I just wasn't sure which industry I wanted to work in or what exactly I could do to be happy in my job every day.






About a year and a half ago, I took a job working for a defense contractor. The job is nothing I ever saw myself doing, but it was and is a necessary paycheck. Due to the lack of creativity in my job and the extreme boredom in my job...I knew that I had to engage my creative side in the evenings.






At first I thought my Etsy shop would be a hobby and a way to make a few extra dollars. After a few weeks of it, I loved it so much that I decided to make it my goal to make enough money to quit my boring job. I am getting there, slowly but surely. My motto is to just put one foot in front of the other and keep plugging away until my goals are met.






What is your favourite product from your shop and why?




My current favorite product in my shop is this revamped beaded necklace. I love it because the color is bright and fresh for spring and I love the fact I found the beads at an antique store...so they have some sort of story behind them.







How do you promote your work?


I promote my work on my Facebook fanpage and through my two blogs. The only website I sell through is Etsy, but I also sell at some local salons in San Diego.










2 comments:

  1. I love the stuff at Acute Designs. Such a great shop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your shop link has a typo and doesn't work. FYI. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails